The memorial in the cemetery is getting on in years. Now it will be fundamentally renovated. In its most recent meeting, the building committee undertook a site visit. Mayor helmut fischer (CSU) recalled that the site was inaugurated in 1959. It was renovated in 1984/85 and now, 28 years later, it is in a very bad condition.
In principle, as the mayor explained, the flat between the memorial plaques at the front of the memorial and the stairs up should be shortened. The old washed concrete slabs will be replaced by new slabs, and the steps and both stone figures will be sandblasted. The inscriptions on the memorial plaques are also being restored.
According to the expert opinion of local councillor and gardener karl nemmert (CSU), the rough hedges, shrubs and walls should be removed and a new hedge inserted lower down, which can then grow upwards. However, the building committee has not yet reached a decision on this matter. This was allowed to stand only in a future meeting. Until then, the municipal administration wants to obtain offers and clarify details. Attention should also be paid to the ground surrounding the memorial. This is to be redesigned – among other things with trees.
From the local history
If you look back in the michelau local chronicle, the municipality of michelau has already had several war memorials in the past. The first was built after the war of 1870/71 between the church and the current town hall in 1890. A second war memorial was erected on 12. Inaugurated in november 1922. After the second world war, it was decided to move the memorial to another site, namely the cemetery. Already on 11. December 1957 the order for the two sculptures that still dominate the monument was given to the local sculptor friedrich steiner for 4500 marks. Finally, the memorial, which cost a total of DM 40,500 and was the third in the town, was erected on the 31st. May 1959 inaugurated in a ceremonial hour (source: "800 jahre michelau in oberfranken" by herbert perzel). In 1964, the plating and lettering were overhauled, and in 1966, the monument was restored. The inscription plates were replaced by bronze plates, the wooden cross by one made of metal, manufactured by master locksmith otto schardt. On the side pylons the year of the two rough wars were attached and hooks for wreaths were let in. In 1985, the entire memorial underwent a thorough renovation. Now a general renovation is pending.